archive Soieries F. Ducharne
Established in Lyon on New Year’s Day, 1920, Francois Ducharne’s studio was one of the world’s most influential silk firms until it shut down in 1960. Its Paris workshop was a drawing studio employing more than 30 people, where Modernist ideas were translated into textile designs. Ducharne’s silk designs combined technical and aesthetic innovations, yet were also renowned for their simple beauty. They were collaborative works between artists and weavers, often inspired by flowers and foliage but also by abstract and geometrical shapes, and were made for fashion houses like Schiaparelli, Givenchy and Chanel. Some of the studio’s most important works coincided with the Art Deco movement of the late 1920s and early 1930s. Today, the Ducharne archive is a collection of 12,000 original artworks and artist proofs.